Ventolin is a non-hormonal drug. The active ingredient is salbutamol. It has a bronchodilator effect, stopping and preventing contractions of the bronchi, thus reducing the obstruction of the respiratory system.
Indications for use
Symptoms, diseases and their complications in which it is appropriate to receive Ventolin:
- Acute bronchitis
- Bronchial asthma.
Composition of the drug
The drug is available in different forms, which determines the concentration of the active component in the recommended dosage.
Nebulas for inhalation (2.5 ml). The main component is salbutamol in an amount of 2.5 mg. The additional components of the solution: water (purified), sulfuric acid (not concentrated), sodium chloride.
Spray. The main pharmaceutical ingredient is salbutamol sulfate (micronized) 120.5 mg/1 dose; there is 28.92 mg of the drug in an inhalation bottle for 100 doses. Additional component: propellant - up to 75mg/1 dose
Tablet form. Tablets containing 2 mg, 4 mg and 8 mg of salbutamol are available. Additional ingredients: magnesium stearate, Aerosil 200, cellulose (microcrystalline), talc (purified).
Syrup. A 150 ml bottle contains 2 mg salbutamol in 5 ml syrup. Ventolin syrup (50 ml) is more concentrated: 1ml contains 1 mg of salbutamol. Additional ingredients: citric acid, food additive E110 (dye), strawberry corrigent, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (food additive/stabilizer), saccharin, sodium benzoate, sodium citric acid disodium divalent, water (purified).
Ventolin for inhalation is distinguished by the most positive therapeutic effects. Once in the body, it immediately has a wide range of actions, improving well-being in the first minutes after the inhalation procedure. The positive effect lasts for at least 4 hours.
The effect of Ventolin on the body:
- Suppression of release from mast cells of histamine, leukotrienes, prostaglandin
- Inhibition of bronchial reactivity
- Increase of vital capacity of lungs
- Wakening of the atrial fibrillation epithelium function
- Production of lipolytic and hyperglycemic effects
- Manifestation of satisfactory inotropic and chronotropic action
- Normalization of breathing and overcoming resistance
- Reduction of allergen-induced bronchial spasms
- Raising mucociliary clearance
- Decrease in the concentration of potassium in the blood system
- Effects on insulin production and glycogenolysis
- Dilation of coronary arteries.
The drug Ventolin has unique properties of self elimination from the body, which greatly facilitates the work of the liver. During inhalation only 20-30% of the used dose enters the body, the rest is deposited on the inner walls of the nose and mouth. Penetrating into the internal organs of the respiratory system, the drug enters the bloodstream unimpeded, it does not settle and is not converted in the lungs.
Through the blood the components of the solution enter the liver, where they are processed and excreted with the urine in the unchanged chemical compound. Approximately 70-80% of the consumed dose of Ventolin, deposited on the portable device and nasopharynx, reaches the GI tract. They are then converted by hepatocytes, excreted by the kidneys: 90% in the urine and 4% in the bile.
When administered orally, Ventolin is quickly absorbed by the walls of the gastrointestinal tract. Its maximum concentration in blood is reached within the first 2 hours after intake. It decreases in 5-6 hours. The drug is eliminated from the body mainly with urine within a day. Instructions for Ventolin contains data on the period of its complete elimination from the body - 72 hours.
Forms of release
The drug is available in different forms:
- Ventolin aerosol. The inhaler is made of aluminum, equipped with a dispensing device made of plastic, a protective cap. The medicinal suspension has a white color. The aerosol is sold in a cardboard package. The inhaler is convenient for everyday wear
- Ventolin nebulas for inhalation. Polyethylene nebulas are soldered together, sealed in laminated foil. The drug is sold in a cardboard package. The drug solution has a transparent color. The contents of the ampoules are used with a nebulizer, which is inferior in mobility to other forms of release
- Tablet Ventolin. For convenience, it comes in three interpretations: 10-20-50 tablets. Blisters are packed in cardboard packages. Ventolin tablets are round, the end surface is flat. There is a chamfer on both sides, a risk on one side. Advantage: the tablets can be carried around
- Syrup Ventolin. Yellow-orange liquid with a taste and smell of strawberries. The glass bottle is packed in a cardboard box. Ventolin in syrup form is very suitable for the treatment of children.
How to use
Familiarity with the instructions for use Ventolin is necessary for productive therapy:
Used to treat children over 2 years of age and adults. If the patient does not coordinate the inhalation and the timing of Ventolin spraying, he/she needs a spacer for effective inhalation. Preschool children are shown to use aerosolized Ventolin through the Babyhaler device. Dosage to reduce spasms: adults 0.1-0.2mg/4 times a day, children up to 0.1-0.2mg/4 times a day.
The remedy is inadmissible for injection procedures, shake before opening. It is used exclusively by inhalation through a nebulizer in a ventilated room. It is allowed to dilute it with sodium chloride solution (0.9%) 1:1 if children under 18 months of age need to use or for prolonged inhalations (more than 10 minutes). The dosage of one nebul of Ventolin for inhalation in the instructions is 2.5 mg of the active ingredient salbutamol. For the treatment of bronchospasm, 2 inhalation treatments per day is enough, regardless of age. At home, it is better to combine Ventolin with saline in the ratio of 1:1. Treatment in hospital allows increasing the dose to 40 mg/day as prescribed by the doctor. In severe bronchial obstruction Ventolin is not diluted.
It is taken orally 30 minutes before a meal, without chewing. Dosage of tablets containing 2 or 4 mg of salbutamol: for adults, 2 tablets/day, for children, 2 times 0.5 tablets/day. Detailed recommendations should be made by a physician. Dosage of tablets containing 8 mg salbutamol: 1 tablet every 12 hours for adults, identical for children.
The solution of 150 ml is used orally 30 minutes before a meal. Dosage for adults is 4ml/3 times a day, for children from 2 to 6 years - 1ml/3p, from 6 to 12 years - 2ml/3p and from 12 years - no more than 4ml/3 times a day. If necessary, the dose can be increased to 8 ml for adults, but no more than 3 doses in 24 hours. 50 ml solution is taken orally 30 minutes before a meal. Dosage of the drug for adults: 2 ml/2 times per day, for children no more than 2 ml per day.
|% of patients|
|Body as a whole|
|Allergic reactions or symptoms||6||4||<1|
|Central nervous system|
|Ear, nose, and throat irritation||10||6||7|
|Lower respiratory tract infection||7||4||4|
|Upper respiratory tract infection||21||20||18|
|Urinary tract infection||3||4||2|
|* Data include all adverse events (whether or not they were considered by the investigator to be drug-related) that occurred at a rate of at least 3% in the group treated with HFA albuterol and that occurred with greater frequency than in the placebo group. Data are from randomized, double-blind, parallel studies of 1347 adolescents and adults who received HFA albuterol, CFC albuterol, or HFA placebo (two puffs four times a day) for 6 to 12 weeks. Data were compiled from the adverse-reaction sections of the package inserts for ProAir HFA, Proventil HFA, and Ventolin HFA. Adverse events in 2-to-4-week studies of children less than 12 years old occurred at a low incidence and were similar to those in the trials that involved adults.|
In pregnancy and HB
Administration of Ventolin during pregnancy, even from the 3rd week, has not been clinically investigated. That is why it should be taken in the third trimester of pregnancy only in case of acute need. In the first trimester, and throughout pregnancy, taking Ventolin may cause tachycardia in the mother and fetus, as well as hyperglycemia. There have been recorded cases when labor activity weakened, but statistically confirmed these data or not is unknown. Doctors have noticed the following disorders when taking Ventolin during pregnancy:
- Pulmonary edema
- Decline in blood pressure.
During breastfeeding, salbutamol enters the mother's milk, and consequently into the body of the newborn. It has not been clinically investigated whether this has a positive effect or harm. Nursing mothers are not recommended to prescribe a course of Ventolin, except when the woman's health prioritizes the reaction of salbutamol to the baby's body.
Contraindications and precautions
For safe use, it is necessary to observe the fixed dosages, as well as to familiarize yourself with the list of restrictions for taking the drug. The instructions for use of Ventolin indicate the following contraindications:
- Premature labor
- Threatened abortion
- Heart failure
- Allergic reaction to any constituent
- Complicated pregnancy
- Therapeutic use in children less than 18 months of age
- Arterial hypertension
- Decompensated diabetes mellitus.
Though Ventolin is not from the group of "hormones", don't self-medicate, consult a specialist for consultation and prescription.
Side effects and overdose
Noticing the manifestation of the following side effects, you should stop taking Ventolin and consult a specialist for advice.
Adverse reactions to the drug:
- Increasing headache
- Noticeable trembling in the hands
- Paradoxical bronchospasms
- Heart palpitations
- Dilation of blood vessels
- Restless sleep
- Disruption of taste buds
- Dryness and irritation of the mucous membranes of the mouth and nasopharynx
- Epidermal rashes
- Allergies: arterial hypotension and bronchospasm, angioedema, urticaria, collapse, and decreased BP
- Hyperactivity in children
- Minor seizures.
To relieve and get rid of these symptoms as quickly as possible, you should seek help from a specialist, and in some cases call an ambulance.
Symptoms of Ventolin overdose:
- Muscle tremors
- Decreased BP
- Respiratory alkalosis
- Decrease in phosphate levels
- Changes in the blood, at the cellular level - "Leukocidosis"
- Lactate acidosis.
In order to avoid such disorders and symptoms, the doctor's orders should be adhered to. Most often the course of treatment is prescribed for a week or two. You should not experiment with dosages, especially for children.
Shelf life and conditions
Ventolin nebulas instruction provides for a shelf life of 2 years. After opening the foil it is necessary to use in 3 months. Tablets are to be used within 3 years from the date of manufacture. Ventolin inhaler is suitable for two years, if it does not contain freons. Otherwise, it can be used for 3 years. Ventolin syrup is good for 2 years.
Regardless of the form of release, store the drug in a darkened and inaccessible to children, at a temperature not exceeding 300C. Do not freeze. Do not use leftovers in nebulizer.
Manufacturer: Binnopharm (Russia)
Price: in the range of 70-100r
Drug description: Main active ingredient: Salbutamol
- Safe for the body
- No hormones
- It dilates the bronchi well, in 5 minutes after intake, breathing improves by 40%.
- There may be a tickle in the throat or a mild cough.
Salamol ECO EASY Breathing
Manufacturer: Ivax Pharmaceuticals (Czech Republic)
Price: within the range of 330-350r.
Drug description: Main active ingredient: Salbutamol.
- Acts already in 5 minutes
- Relieves breathing in bronchitis
- Can be used by infants, preschool children under indications.
- Paradoxical bronchospasm may occur.
By: Dr. Adil Shujaat